Fortinet FortiWeb Review

This flexible suite solves compliance problems but that comes at a cost

What is our primary use case?

Normally I deal with on-premises installations. The firewalls are always on-prem for government departments. In a recent case, I was looking at a cloud solution because it was what the client preferred. So it was the Fortinet rules applied to an AWS solution. I was looking at the architecture around becoming an IRAP (Information Security Registered Assessors Program) certified program and I was looking at the AWS firewalls around how it would be able to comply with the ISM (International Safety Management) standards.

What is most valuable?

For me personally, the most valuable thing is that I like the fact that it is standardized so both internal firewall management and the cloud can be managed by the same company. Communication between the two works well and it can be a benefit. We can keep a single console to manage both.

What needs improvement?

User administrative controls could be a little bit better. I guess that would be the main thing. The usability within Fortinet could be a little bit easier on the users. But it is what it is.

The thing that was more difficult was not the tool itself but dealing with the logistics of the compliance issues. I was applying a standard set of rules to an AWS firewall. It served a purpose. The complex part of the solution was more of a compliance issue.

We have been using Fortinet FortiWeb probably for over a year-and-a-half. Closer to two years.

At this point in time, scalability seems to be fine. I mean, we are talking processing requests from all over Australia. It seems to be keeping up quite well. My impression of it at this stage is that it is very scalable. It is quite well suited for data management.

I think judging our experience with technical support is a little bit unfair because I know all the local support people. I do go into the help desk when I have to, but I do know most of the teachers or technical support staff. I would rate them as being very responsive to customers. I have had no issues. If I need something I can get it answered within the hour. It is quite good.

It was quite easy to do the initial setup and apply basic rules. Administratively, keeping an AWS firewall and applying the Fortinet rules made it quite simple for the difficulty level of this particular requirement.

I think that ForiWeb is expensive for what they are offering. At the end of the day, when you sell a suite, compliance within the suite is easy to maintain. That is the good part. It is an expensive suite and it is an expensive solution, but it is a manageable one for an enterprise. It should just be cheaper for what they are offering in comparison to other tools on the market.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people would be to evaluate the marketplace against your requirements and choose appropriately. Fortinet does operate at the enterprise level. It is listed on the Australian standard and it does carry Australia's approval for common criteria. So it does address the requirements needed for security for the assessments. Not every product can.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this Fortinet solution as a seven-out-of-ten because of user administrative controls, usability, and price.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Fortinet FortiWeb reviews from users
...who compared it with F5 Advanced WAF
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiWeb. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.