Fortinet FortiWeb Review

Simple to use with a good user experience, and it provides complete security in a single product

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product to protect something similar to an online banking network.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had a lot of web application attacks and this product has protected us. Once it was implemented, most of our problems were solved. For example, we had a DDoS attack against the seventh layer and it protected us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that this product represents a whole solution, including a WAF, and even anti-defacements. It is not just a single feature.

Anti-defacement has an amazing feature whereby if something bypasses the WAF then they can rollback the website.

The user experience is very good and it is simple to use.

They have AI and machine learning capabilities, so if you are using the WAF then you don't need extra features.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup in our data center was somewhat complex.

We have been using Fortinet FortiWeb since 2008.

FortiWeb is a stable product.

We have been working with this solution for more than 12 years and it has scaled with our requirements. We upgraded a lot of hardware and applications, and things change from time to time. There is not just a single point where we changed something that tested the scalability.

Technical support is amazing. We have 24x7 support and every time we have contacted them, it takes less than two hours before everything is solved. We are confident that if we have any issue then we can communicate with the vendor and they will help us to solve the problem.

In our data center and with the complexity of it, it takes one or two days to implement and fine-tune.

We deployed this product in-house. We started with the training and then we implemented the solution. In case we have any problem then we can communicate with the vendor.

We have three security specialists who work as a team for maintenance.

We renew our contract and license every three years. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees. There is just one cost.

Prior to implementing FortiWeb, we tested Barracuda, F5, Citrix, and Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

FortiWeb is a security product that I can recommend. My advice for anybody who is implementing this type of solution is not to simply believe the words of the vendors. Test the product in your environment and then you can select the best one for your needs. A lot of vendors nowadays will tell you that they are the best, but the best thing to do is test each of the products inside your network.

The roadmap that the vendor has for this product is good. They have a lot of extra features that they are developing for future releases. They have an amazing R&D team, they know the competition, and they know the market. In my department, we find that it is amazing and are not searching for additional functionality.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Fortinet FortiWeb reviews from users
...who compared it with F5 Advanced WAF
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiWeb. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.