Fortinet FortiWeb Review

With Layer 7 server load balancing, it makes decisions based on the content of messages. It also can offload slow connections from the upstream servers.

What is most valuable?

• Web services signature: Helped us on secure key exchange, authentication and integrity of the transmissions.
  • Virtual patching: We publish many web services through FortiWeb. We are able to quickly resolve vulnerabilities.
  • Layer 7 server load balancing: The device made smart decisions based on the content of messages. Also, with compression and encryption, it can offload slow connections from the upstream servers. That greatly improved performance.
  • Zero-day protection
  • Advance correlation
  • URL rewriting and content rewriting

How has it helped my organization?

Before FortiWeb deployment, we were using a combination of commercial and open-source products. It was a hassle for the administrators, due to which some areas were unintentionally overlooked and caused many problems. With FortiWeb, we got a one-box solution for internet and internet security, which reduced the time required of the administrators and improved visibility at the larger scale.

What needs improvement?

Usually patches and version upgrades are really buggy, so we usually wait about one month for a stable release to upgrade. They need to improve the new version/patch delivery mechanism. For example, if a patch fixes one functionality for web services but also causes some other functionality failure.

I have been using it since 2014.

In the first few months, we had some issues but with a custom patch, we are good.

No scalability problems so far.

I rate technical support 8.5/10.

We were using combination of solutions, due to our organisation's policies. Due to lack of visibility, administrative issues and response times, we shifted.

We had a complex environment, with multiple offices across the globe with all the data in and out from our HQ.

At the time of deployment, and still now, the price was considerable less than other solutions and varies according to license type.

We also evaluated Cisco and McAfee.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product, but be careful with version upgrades.

5.5
More Fortinet FortiWeb reviews from users
...who compared it with F5 Advanced WAF
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiWeb. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.