Fortinet FortiWeb Review

Other firewalls are just as good, but this product is at a much better price point.

Valuable Features

We use them for VPN, standard layer 4, web filtering, anti-malware and DLP – they are used as our perimeter firewall solution.

Improvements to My Organization

I would not say it has improved how we function because I think that other leading vendors firewalls are as good. However, I do think that FortiGate can do it at a much better price point than, for example, Cisco ASA or Palo Alto.

Room for Improvement

The CLI could be improved by removing all default syntax from the config. The debugging of crypto VPN is not as informative as other vendors’ firewalls. The GUI is also not as good as some vendors, but overall as a package and considering price, it still provides value for money.

Use of Solution

I first used the Fortinet solutions in 2005 when it was version 2 & 3; since then, it has matured a lot and is much better. I would definitely recommend it, primarily on value for money. For the newer versions, I have been using 1000C and 300D, with FortiGate VM01 firewalls running a mix of software versions 5.4 and 5.2 for almost two years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

FortiManager is required for scalable managing of multiple devices, but we do not have enough to need that. I think that the logging could be better but for that, FortiAnalyzer is recommended, which we do not have.

We have not needed to use Fortinet TAC.

This solution replaced some old Juniper ISG firewalls that were EoL; nobody in the company had Juniper SRX experience and the choice was made for Fortinet before I started at the company.

Initial setup for what we need to use it is very straightforward. There are certain features (such as TACACS) where you need to use CLI, but most things can be done with the GUI.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Very competitive; Fortinet would always be an option for a perimeter firewall for me if I were needing new kit. I would always include it in any quotes and options, although depending on the requirements, I might decide to choose something else.

Other Solutions Considered

I have used firewalls that I find easier to manage, configure and troubleshoot. However, the Fortinet firewalls are pretty good, and in terms of value for money, they are outstanding.

Pros: Cost for performance, very feature rich, GUI is pretty good.

Cons: Debugging is not as good as I find Cisco ASA. CLI is overly complicated by all syntax showing in the configuration. The GUI is not as nice as CheckPoint or Palo Alto.

Other Advice

Evaluate the product first and compare it to what you are used to and what you want. It provides very good value for money, but if the budget were there, I would probably choose another vendor in certain circumstances.