Fortinet FortiWeb Review

L-7 protection safeguards legacy servers/applications without changing application code

How has it helped my organization?

Other than the additional security with exploit protection, we have simpler certificate handling, as we can keep internal servers using internal certificates continuously distributed and updated by Active Directory Group Policy, while the public certificates become updated only in a single place, FortiWeb itself.

What is most valuable?

SSL Offloading, as it simplifies the public certificate handling and brings additional protection features.

Also, L-7 protection, as it makes possible to protect legacy/not up-to-date servers/applications without changing the application code.

What needs improvement?

• Centralized management of multiple devices, and GUI improvement, could reduce the learning curve.
  • The interface could have the interdependent elements arranged sequentially and wizards that go through most common deployment actions.
  • Centralized configuration using FortiManager – like what exists for NGFW FortiGate appliances - would improve the configuration.

Three to five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability. (Actually, our traffic usually does not reach 50% of unit capacity).

Good. Usually takes one day to get over all the assessment procedures to start to handle the issue.

The previous vendor discontinued its product.

A little bit complex, as understanding the GUI arrangement and terms took more time and effort than we expected.

Keep a loose margin between your actual bandwidth and the product sizing when using hardware appliances. Only virtual machines are upgradable to larger sizes.

We acquired a Fortinet-based project, so we didn’t evaluate other ones.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it eight out of 10. I understand that a 10 is for products that not only execute smoothly but are also easy to use and manage, even when used on a multi-site corporation.

Take at least the Fortinet online course, or make sure that your reseller has experienced professionals.