Fortinet FortiWeb Review

The firewall/waf features, GUI for administration, and licensing support all need improvements

What is our primary use case?

Publishing Web application, Exchange, Lotus Domino. Some microservices.

How has it helped my organization?

Fortiweb improved way people work and access internal resources based on http/https communication.

What is most valuable?

It depends on the project and what the customer is looking for.

What needs improvement?

First of all, upgrade path should be introduced for scaling up or down VM deployment. Second, they need to include better wizards for publishing common applications like MS Exchange.

I have been using Fortinet products for 15 years or more.

Fortinet FortiWeb has been extensively used by us previously, but we are going to decrease the usage now because of cost.

Fortinet FortiWeb is scalable but you have to do forklift upgrades.

Fortinet has had some rough times. When they started expanding a bit, they completely screwed up their support system. The support had no clue what they were doing except just asking dumb questions. Now is bit different since Fortinet consolidated their support but still you need to pass L1 support quickly.

Even from the early days, Fortigate/Fortiweb was easy to set up. It had an ugly interface but it has been improved every year.

I deliver different security solution to customers.

The license cost depends on the size of the box or the size of the solution. It can go from few K Euros to a few hundred thousand Euros a year depending on your size.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to be partner with Fortinet, you have to buy licenses. Not even VMs are free to partners.

Fortiweb in essence, needs to become part of Fortigate. Fortinet is not suitable for SMB customers since you have to deploy several boxes in order to get thing right. Also, speed of deployment is important and that isn't fast with many boxes.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product a solid seven. It's a good product.