FrameMaker Review
A staple of most technical writers, and encourages innovation to keep up with a high volume of output.

Valuable Features:

Most Technical Writers have had experience using FrameMaker as the backbone of their writing shops and find it a little cumbersome. However after a little ramping up, most get used to it and often uncover some very cool features that you can use when you have to manage large volumes of multiple documents with single source content and chapter and book modularity. FrameMaker integrates pretty well with other Adobe products (and it should!). You can also easily generate decent web output with it's integration with WebWorks Automap and ePublisher.

Room for Improvement:

One thing that bugs me about FrameMaker is that when you are dealing with large files, it sometimes hangs and can seize up your local PC or VM resources. Make sure you have a beefy machine running the app if you plan on generating and working with files over several MBs.

Other Advice:

FrameMaker also has a scripting component that works pretty well and you can automate the update of books and generation of output very easily. You can have jobs running in the background while doing other tasks and set off "builds" after hours to save on resources.
1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

it_user4401VendorPOPULAR

For me, the most important pro is that FrameMaker has a huge user base, which means trainings, documentation and tips/tricks. But, as a con, it is expensive and the main reason is because FrameMaker has many years of development behind it.

20 April 13
it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

I no longer use this program but when I did, I loved everything about it. I would use it again if need be. Due to the fact that it is heavy, I always gave it time to execute and process commands; that is how I managed and avoided hangups of the process and system. In case it hanged up, it took just a short time. Moreover, it is a good option for a writer or content developer with so many articles or pages to work on.

02 June 13