FrameMaker Review

What is most valuable?

The valuable features for us are format control and professional and clear output. The variables and conditional text feature are very useful too.

How has it helped my organization?

At the very beginning, we used to copy and edit source files for different versions of our software. Now we maintain only one source file for different versions.

What needs improvement?

There should be some training for Chinese customers. This is maybe because only a few Chinese documentation engineers are using FrameMaker, so it is difficult to find solutions through the Internet and there is little training about FrameMaker.

Most of the features of FrameMaker are not used because we don't know how to use them. I think Adobe should provide more training for Chinese customers.

We have been using the product for ten years.

We had some stability issues and it was often corrupted before we installed some patches.

We didn't experience any scalability issues.

The technical support can be rated as rather low.

We used MS Office Word at first and switched to FrameMaker to reduce workload and make our manuals more professional.

The installation was straightforward because I used a low version, so I had to install a FrameMaker PDF add-on first and then replace it with a higher version PDF.

FrameMaker is a professional product to use but has a high price.

We didn't consider any alternative products. Partners advised us to use FrameMaker instead of MS Office Word.

What other advice do I have?

Tell your requirements to the vendor and get customized training if you buy FrameMaker.