FreeNAS Review

Efficient, good reporting, and integrates well with both Windows and Linux systems

What is our primary use case?

We are using FreeNAS as a network storage solution, which acts a repository for our data. We have a large amount of data being stored.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution supports our organization quite well. We are able to make the best use of VMware, very easily.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the readability of the site system.

FreeNAS is very efficient.

It integrates well into either Windows or Linux environments.

The reporting is good.

What needs improvement?

The support for S3 needs to be improved.

The default settings for taking snapshots are not wisely-set.

We have been using this solution for more than five years.

The stability is quite good. Our system is in production and we have not had any problems with it. When a drive fails, we don't really have any disruption because we can easily rebuild the disk, even if it very large.

I think that scalability is quite good. We have approximately 100 users and the size of the volumes range from 20 terabytes to 100 terabytes. Our total volume is a little bit less than 500 terabytes. We have not found any bottleneck in our current configuration.

At this time, we don't plan on increasing our usage but it may change in a few years.

The web support for FreeNAS is good.

We also use TrueNAS and find that the technical support by iXsystems is great.

We also use TrueNAS, which is exactly the same product but it is commercially supported and it has technical support included.

Prior to this, I also worked with a similar solution from NetApp. I prefer FreeNAS over NetApp.

The initial setup is quite easy. The deployment took us about two weeks.

I deployed this solution on my own.

We do not calculate ROI for this solution but I can say that it gives better value than similar solutions by NetApp.

For our configuration, we pay a little bit less than €10,000 ($12,000 USD) per year. The only other costs are for the hardware in the data center.

I also have experience with storage solutions from Nexenta and DataCore, which I evaluated at the same time as FreeNAS. In our trial, we found that you can migrate from Nexenta to FreeNAS very easily.

What other advice do I have?

One of the improvements in the most recent version is the support to better control the temperature of the equipment. For example, we are able to retrieve and monitor the temperature of devices easily.

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to think about what level of support is needed. FreeNAS is web-based, community support, whereas TrueNAS has more reliable support. Either way, the product is stable.

The biggest lesson that I have learned is not to store a large number of snapshots. This solution allows for unlimited snapshot capability, although even for just one month, this can take a lot of storage space. If you maintain years of snapshots then, in my opinion, it is not efficient.

11.3
More FreeNAS reviews from users
...who compared it with NetApp FAS Series
Find out what your peers are saying about FreeNAS, Netgear, NetApp and others in NAS. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.