froglogic Squish Review

Once the UI components are mapped, all testing can be performed via scripting languages.

Valuable Features:

The most important thing with an automated GUI testing tool is the ability to quickly and accurately identify the UI components you want to script up.

Squish, after evaluating quite a few alternatives, was the best at doing this (we have a C#/WPF application).

Another feature, which has been the best for us, is the fact that once UI components are mapped, all testing can be performed via scripting languages.

When I was working as a developer in test, I wrote an entire GUI testing framework in JavaScript which was possible because of Squish’s ability to map the UI components accurately.

Squish was also easily integrated into our CI system (TeamCity). It had native support for TeamCity and allowed a Squish build step to be created that can run all, or a selection of automated tests. So now, when we have a successful build, all our UI tests are ran on the products which gives product management and the team greater confidence.

Improvements to My Organization:

My company began investigating automated GUI testing because it was something that we did not do at all and the manual testing overhead meant that we were spending more and more time regression testing our products prior to a release.

Now we are using Squish to automate our user stories as they are implemented, therefore removing the need for a regression phase at the end of a release. This frees up our QA team to perform more exploratory testing instead of repeating regression scripts.

Room for Improvement:

The only criticism I have is the IDE needed a bit of polish in version 5.2 (this may have been fixed in the latest versions). For example, I had a few occasions where Squish would fail to hit breakpoints. An application restart would fix this however.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for approximately 12 months.

Customer service at froglogic is very good. They answered most support emails within about an hour. They were also happy to provide engineering builds if they had a fix to a problem that was not in a released version yet. They also make themselves very available if you need a call with a representative to explain new features etc.

Previous Solutions:

This was our first UI automation tool but we did evaluate others. We chose Squish because of its scripting ability, instead of just recording a test. Also it was the best tool for UI component identification in our product.

Initial Setup:

Installation is via a self-extracting exe. Getting up and running is very simple, start the IDE, pick your scripting language, point the Application Under Test at your products .exe file and you can start working.  For our build agents, installation is the same and the TeamCity integration handled the set-up.

Implementation Team:

We implemented in-house. No problems at all in getting our workflow up and running. Any problems that may be encountered will be diligently handled by Frog Logic support.

ROI:

The biggest ROI is the time that we got back from our QA team because they didn’t have to manually regression test our product every release. They can now concentrate on exploratory testing and doing what a QA engineer should be doing, not just following manual test scripts.

It also means that, because we no longer require a regression phase in a release cycle, we are releasable at any time in the true agile sense. As long as our build system is green, we’re good to go.

For licencing, we purchased an unlimited licence that can be used on as many machines as we like with no restrictions.

5 visitors found this review helpful