froglogic Squish Review

The test sequence is saved and a test can be run quickly to see if any test is violated.

What is most valuable?

The ability to go through a test sequence and have Squish record the steps and verify the expected results. Then the sequence is saved and a test can be run quickly to see if any test is violated.

How has it helped my organization?

Having any test system, especially Squish, dictates a philosophy of testing that organizes one's outlook into a viable manor of testing. Our previous, haphazard approach to testing was not effective. Using Squish has led us into an organized mode of testing.

We had means of verifying that a client record was properly defined, but we did not test to see that all of the information for that client was removed if and when the client was deleted. The Squish discipline led us into resolving this discrepancy.

What needs improvement?

NetBeans is a Java Integrated Development Environment (IDE) particularly well suited for Graphics User Interface (GUI) development. It allows a number of GUI features such as Text Field to be defined and positioned in a GUI window. When they are first placed in the window they are given generic names such as "textfield1". Then the developer is allowed to change the name of the feature to, e.g. "ClientName", which is easier to remember the association with a program object.

When Squish is running it allows the developer to place restrictions on the contents of GUI features in order to verify correct functioning of the GUI program. These are mostly referred to by the generic name rather than to an assigned proper feature name. This requires the Squish user to either keep a cross reference list of feature names for each GUI window or to try to discern the proper feature from its contents. It would make the work of the Squish user easier and quicker if Squish would display the proper feature names, when assigned.

We have used Squish for about 9 months.

No issues in deployment.

Squish was found to be very stable, no crashes.

We did not have an issue with scalability.

Customer Service was always timely responsive and competent

I did not have an issue with technical support.

This is our first experience with test automation. We knew that what we were doing did not work. Squish is a rational approach to testing of software.

No problem in initial setup. The document ion is well prepared. But one has to realize that testing of a software system, especially a GUI, is a difficult issue. But the results of not adequate testing is a nightmare. So effort in the preparation of testing methods is well spent.

We prepared our testing system in-house.

We are a charitable organization. Our ROI is infinite.

We have found Froglogic to be a very equitable organization to deal with.

We did not find another option that had the parameter that we were looking for.

What other advice do I have?

I believe that testing of software systems (especially GUI) is a difficult issue--some people believe that if the software is written correctly you don't have to worry about it. I believe that is true, but that software is never written correctly at first. There are errors in coding. There are errors in the specifications. There are changes that are necessitated as the system is placed into use. Testing to verify that the system is performing as all expect it to perform is a huge task, similar to the original coding of the system. My advice is to take software verification very seriously.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Wesley StuparReal UserTOP 5

Yes! Also, I find the "Screenshot" feature to be helpful. I use it to verify printouts. Printouts in my GUI are based on classes that produce the page markings. A common print class generates the hard copy. I have a "test mode" switch that substitutes a screen dialog in place of the hard copy printout. Then I can use the Squish screenshot feature to verify the printout.

04 July 18