froglogic Squish Review

Test scripts can be created in multiple scripting languages and the execution can be automated

What is our primary use case?

My application includes Qt and Java objects that run on Windows and Linux operating systems. We wanted to perform automated GUI regression testing based on objects so that the same test script can be used in different machines. Our intention is to run regression tests automatically using CI (Jenkins) or scripts. We were looking for a tool that is user-friendly, and test scripts should be created in almost all well-known scripting languages. Squish helped us here.

How has it helped my organization?

We were struggling to create object-based test cases for hybrid applications. Squish saved our time and money by creating reusable operating system independent test scripts. This helped us to automate the test run using CI (Jenkins) and scripts..

What is most valuable?

• In-depth support for all major GUI technologies
  • Full support for all desktop, mobile, web, and embedded platforms
  • Test script recording
  • Automated test script creation on almost all well-known scripting languages like Python, JavaScript, Perl, Tcl, Ruby, etc.
  • Powerful and reliable object identification and verifications
  • No dependency on screenshots or visual appearance
  • Powerful integrated development environment (IDE)
  • A wide range of popular script languages for test scripting
  • Full support for behavior-driven development (BDD)
  • Full control via command line tools
  • Integrations into test management and CI systems.

What needs improvement?

Robotics automation could be added with Squish. Squish works based on objects so, adding this feature would actually help us a lot to get everything in one suite. Their roadmap shows robotic automation and local web portal based reporting will be added in future releases. If this can be fastened, that would be really helpful.

More than five years.

Squish is a very stable product, and it produces stable results as it is working based on objects.

Squish covers almost all the features of automated GUI regression testing.

Customer support of Squish will work out of the box. Squish's support team will give you the best technical support and friendly customer service.

Yes, we have used multiple open source tools before Squish. The main problem with open source tools and some commercial tools are that they work based on visuals and pixels but Squish on the other hand works based on objects. So, Squish results are consistent and reusable.

Squish test scripts can be created in multiple scripting languages, and the execution can be automated. Squish results can be exported in HTML and XML.

Squish results can be pushed directly to Jira.

The initial setup was very simple. We have completed the entire setup and first run within five minutes.

Implementation was simple and straightforward. Still, if you need to get help, the Squish team gives professional support even at the evaluation stage. They do have local technical partners to fasten the support.

We are getting the value of the product even now. Squish gives perceptual licenses, so the ROI of Squish is very satisfactory.

The setup of Squish is very simple; it starts with installing the installer (executable file).

Cost should not be a problem if it is justifiable by the tool, I believe. Squish has a simple licensing model (single users and group license).

Yes, we have evaluated multiple open source tools and some commercial tools as well.

What other advice do I have?

Squish requires the executable application and not the source code. So using Squish will be simple, and I am sure anybody can handle Squish very easily. Squish provides free evaluation with professional support. I would say, take up an evaluation and try it on your application. Squish is the best GUI testing tool for me.