GajShield Next Generation Firewall Review

Identifies and protects against email borne threats

What is our primary use case?

For a recent ERP implementation, we wanted secure connectivity for users who are going to connect via mobile devices to the ERP server. We wanted secure connectivity, that's why we opted for a firewall. The ERP vendor, who is willing to provide support services, we wanted to provide secure connectivity for them also. With VPN-based connectivity, the ERP technical team can provide technical support for any technical issues that we face.

Right now, within our company, there are about ten users who use this solution. Currently, our usage is very limited, but over time, I think the usage will grow.

How has it helped my organization?

GajShield has improved our mobile device-based connectivity. As I mentioned, we want to provide a secure connection to the ERP server. The second improvement relates to the technical support from the ERP vendor who has developed the product. If they have to provide technical support, then they should be connected through a VPN.

What needs improvement?

The firewall configuration and administration screens could use some improvement.

I think the UI screen has to be a lot simpler and smarter for firewall administration. They should also build a smarter alert mechanism in case of any unauthorized access. Basic alerts are there, but I think they could be better. First and foremost is the UI configuration screen. Some screens are good, and some screens are not that good. The UI for the administration of the firewall needs a lot of work.

I have been using GajShield for the past couple of months.

We have been using GajShield for the last couple of weeks. So far, we haven't had any issues — It has been performing well. Over time, we'll come to know how stable it truly is.

Depending on the size of the company and the number of users, GajShield offers different models. Since we were looking for an entry-level model, we opted for the model that suited our size. GajShield also provides firewalls for large-scale environments, suitable for thousands of users.

Technical support was included in our bundle. They will be providing us with support for the next three years.

The initial setup was not very complex. We were expecting a basic setup. The basic setup took roughly two days time.

No, we did not implement this solution ourselves. Their vendor team helped us with the implementation and configuration of the GajShield firewall.

We wanted an entry-level product because our requirement is only a 10 to 15 user setup. I was initially comparing GajShield with Sophos, as Sophos also has an entry-level firewall. GajShield also provides equal configuration and price-wise, it was about 15% cheaper compared to Sophos — that's why we opted for GajShield. Our requirement was not highly complex from a security standpoint. That's why we opted for a simple solution based on the GajShield firewall.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give GajShield a rating of eight.

There are tier-one vendors, tier-two vendors, and tier-three vendors. Personally, I don't consider GajShield to be a tier-one vendor. It is a tier-two vendor. In short, I would not compare GajShield with Cisco, Check Point, or Fortinet because those are very advanced products.

As far as tier-two products go, I could only compare GajShield with Sophos. They are about the same, specification-wise. Although I got GajShield for 15% less than the price of Sophos, if they were the same price, I probably would have gone with Sophos. Obviously, the UI is much better in Sophos, but, I think the pricing was the most important deciding-factor in our buying decision.

Find out what your peers are saying about GajShield, Sophos, Fortinet and others in Firewalls. Updated: June 2021.
510,882 professionals have used our research since 2012.