Galen Framework Review
It provides test reports in both JSON and HTML formats.

What is most valuable?

• In the market, not so many tools are able to check the layout with different screen resolutions as Galen can.
  • It is quite easy to use.
  • The .spec file is to describe the layout; other than that, it is just an automation test.
  • It is free.
  • It works with Selenium.
  • You can use Java with it.
  • It provides a screenshot of each page under testing.
  • I love Galen’s test report. It helps me to find the issue and spot the problem very quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

It finds the responsive UI layout problem such as when you change the resolution or the browser size, the buttons/text and any elements that are not in the expected position or the text is not wrapped correctly. Galen shows the test result perfectly in these cases.

What needs improvement?

When I use @Test(dataProvider), it causes a loop; the test result/report cannot accept the value of the data and show it in the test result/report. It confuses people. For example, if you have defined your dataProvider as devices (“mobile”, “tablet”, “desktop”) and in your test script, you only use one method - for example, wecomePage_should_lookGood(). In the test result/report, you see three passed test names as “wecomePage_should_lookGood - passed”. Ideally, the report should show “wecomePage_should_lookGood_mobile, wecomePage_should_lookGood_tablet”, and “wecomePage_should_lookGood_desktop".

I have been using it for < 1 year.

I have not yet encountered any deployment issues. It is very easy to use and install Galen; that’s it. If you use a CI system, just install it in your POM file or use a shell script.

The test report provides two formats: JSON and HTML. You can use the JSON report as an input for your next automation test step, such as a search report; if there are any failures, file it with JIRA by using lira API; etc.

I have not yet encountered any stability issues. We do not have many tests yet. Until now, it is OK. We added Selenium and we run the tests in CircleCI.

I have not yet encountered any scalability issues.

There is a forum. You can post your questions there. It is free, and it is good enough.

It is quite easy to use Galen, so I have not yet needed technical support. Oh, I should say their documentation is very clear; that’s why I have not needed technical support. I read their document and examples; that’s it.

My original solution is to use screenshots and compare them to the expected screenshot of the app under testing. But once I started using Galen, I totally gave up on that idea. Galen is amazing.

Initial setup was very easy and straightforward. Download it and install.

We just started using it, but I believe ROI on this in production would be good.

Well, pricing and licensing depends on the company’s needs.

What other advice do I have?

You should know very clearly what the Selenium UI function test and Selenium Galen layout do. Do not write overlapping tests.