Git Review

Has a good automated deployment process and good scalability options

What is most valuable?

The features I am most impressed by is the automation, and when we do the pull requests, everything gets indicated on there in terms of the deployment steps and full-on automated deployment. We have found that the standard level for DevOps in terms of automated deployment is 30 minutes. So we actually hit that in 30 minutes, which was great.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the way the product owner can review changes and so forth. But I believe there are licensing costs related to that. It would be better to keep everything simple with one standard license fee.

We've been using Git on our premises for about eight months now.

There wasn't any instability at all because when we did our first automation deployment, we hit 100% with zero bugs introduced. That was really, really good. I just think we must get the automated testing right. We don't have that many seasoned automated tests and therefore we did all the full-on regression testing that was needed, went into production and had zero defects.

We have about 40 to 50 users and 12 testers, and so far it has been very scalable. We plan to increase our usage in the future.

We have monitors in place for our usual business so if anything goes down, there is an immediate response to look at that from a proactive perspective to see what is affected. In terms of from a testing perspective, through change, it is a database issue or anything like that. In terms of support, we have two sections of support. One for terms of DevOps where we have a operations person responsible for this. And when we put the software into production, we have someone on standby to ensure that everything is in perfect working condition.

There are other options in the greater part of our environments. But since we were working on Microsoft from the start, it just was easier to continue that way. It was a new department being established and we wanted to start off that way, rather than moving from an old state to a new state. It takes longer and the change management is greater.

Our technical team will be able to tell you exactly, but I believe they found some problems around the installation and so forth. I do know that it took them a while to actually get the automated deployment right before they could actually execute it. Perhaps the developers can make it easier in terms of getting readiness for automation deployment. It was quite complex and it took us about a day and a half. However, if you do a manual deployment, it doesn't take that long.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to implement it correctly and do whatever your unit test brings back in terms of an approach. Fix that first and then start with your coding. That is how you ensure quality.

I would say that you should start afresh. Instead of trying the squad branching, do the release branching, and work from there. Don't be wary of actually starting on DevOps. Sometimes people are wary of the unknown but it adds a lot of value if you go with the CDCI approach.

It is a great product and my rating is eight out of ten.