Pros of GNU make-
1) It can use, delete, and regenerate intermediate files which do not need to be saved with a package
2) The -o -v option used along with make
3) Specify extra makefiles to be read using an environment variable through GNU make
4) Specify static pattern rules for source package compilation
5) Static pattern and search rules with vpath searches
Room for Improvement:
Few cons of GNU make
1) Problems in fulfilling dependency with different kernel versions
2) Poor reliability for larger or incremental builds
3) Differentiates between two files on basis of time stamps and not the contents of the files
4) Environment variable inheritance and dependencies
Make tool, originally made for the GNU operating system, helps in the generation of executable from the main program source files. Make enables the installation of a program on the nix (unix,linux) platform through a process of running the configure command followed by make and then make install command. It automatically determines which modules of a program to recompile and automatically compiles them. It works on makefile database and last modification time stamps to update particular modules. The GNU make reads the makefile in the current destination directory and begins processing rules. The make files from GNU make basically contain explicit rules, implicit rules, comments and directives.
Find out what your peers are saying about GNU, Jenkins, JetBrains and others in Build Automation. Updated: January 2021.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.