Goliath Performance Monitor Review

Good diversity in the dashboard; performance and consistency are lacking

What is our primary use case?

We currently use the functional monitoring tool of this solution but it doesn't fit our needs and we're searching for an alternative. I'm an IT systems and infrastructure manager and we are customers of Goliath.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution offers a diversity of things. It can give you resource monitoring, it can be integrated to detect an application crash, to capture syslog, things like that. I like the diversity of the dashboard.

What needs improvement?

The global performance is not up to our requirements. The system is not stable and you face unusual issues. Suddenly the agents are offline, and sometimes you cannot generate reports. Performance and consistency are not there. This is the main negative point that we're facing. Also, we've found the processing speed very slow.

I'd like to see more diversity than the monitoring role, and to have network monitoring. Let's say the product is 100%; network monitoring is only 10%, 50% for the IT system monitoring, and 40% for Citrix XenApp. They still need to have more diversity or to dig more in the network monitoring and infrastructure monitoring.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The solution could be more stable.

The solution is scalable but it's not designed for big companies or organizations, rather for medium and small companies. User numbers depend on project size. If you have one or two engineers, that's enough support.

The technical support is good but slow. The ticketing system has been very basic, and they're based in the USA so they don't cover all the working hours worldwide.

We previously used Ipswitch and we tested SolarWinds. Neither suit our needs. Ipswitch is a purely oriented network, while Goliath gives you basic network monitoring, very basic. It only captures syslogs, and that's a negative. We need an affordable solution that fits small and mid-size banks, something that can combine both infrastructure, IT monitoring and network devices. We'd like it to be integrated to monitor applications, processes, services, traps, syslog, SNMP, etc.

The initial setup is straightforward. The time it takes to deploy depends on the configuration. If it's the basic configuration, it can be deployed in 20 or 30 minutes. The configuration takes time to create the roles, mapping, etc. If you are using a hosted DB, not the embedded DB, then it will take more time. We rely heavily on the predefined template with some fine tuning for integrating and monitoring specific applications.

Licensing is not a fixed cost. It depends on what you're monitoring. To monitor Linux is one fee, for physical or hypervisor, it's a core. To monitor an Apple device, it depends on the system you're monitoring.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution but it's important to test it first and to see if it fits your needs. At the beginning it fit our needs perfectly. But with the new version and the issues with performance and instability, I have my doubts. That's why I'm searching for something better.

The solution is reasonably priced so we're looking for something similar that provides better performance or more stability. With Goliath IT Monitors, the processing speed is very slow. When you upgrade from one version to another, you find that you end up reinstalling everything because of the instability. We deploy it a lot but it's a fragile product and we don't have the confidence of it being a robust and stable product. Our aim is to have a similar application that is more stable.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

Find out what your peers are saying about Goliath Technologies, ControlUp, eg Innovations and others in IT Infrastructure Monitoring. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.