Google Analytics Review

Provides valuable insight into user behavior and integrates well with G Suite

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Analytics to check the daily activity of users on the platform. We generate reports on specific pages on their conversion rate. We view the demographic data as well as the real-time data on the site users. Also, we use it to attribute our landing page marketing by referring to the source URLs and campaign ID parameters.

Google Analytics has also helped with understanding the traffic distribution based on device and OS versions. Even though the data is sampled, it gives good info on the demographic details of the users.

How has it helped my organization?

Google Analytics definitely provided a lot of data that is now available to everyone. The easy to use interface and the ability to add custom segments allows everyone to carry out their own analysis and come up with insights.

Since we use Google's G Suite, it ties very well with Google Sheets through the Google Analytics plugin. It also works well with Data Studio to generate real-time reports. Our only pain point is considering that most data is sampled, it doesn't provide an actual image of the site usage. However, since it is a free tool, it is forgivable.

What is most valuable?

The User Explorer is a definite favorite because it allows us to pinpoint a user and check their entire journey through our website including all the events triggered and the pages visited.

The custom segments also are a great feature that allows us to provide specific conditions to define a user segment and then re-use that segment in any of our analyses. Drilling down from an event category to event action is a great way to understand specific user behavior and generalize event analytics across categories.

What needs improvement?

The sampling of data is definitely a pain point since we don't have an actual understanding of the data. Since the tool is free, I believe Google is optimizing costs by sampling data and providing us with a fairly accurate view of our site analytics.

The mobile aspect of Google Analytics is quite complex to integrate using their SDKs. The web is much easier to integrate with a simple script to add in the header.

I would love to see an auto event capture mechanism, like Mixpanel or Heap, so that the setting up of the analytics becomes easier.

We have been using Google Analytics for three years.

More Google Analytics reviews from users