Google Cloud Identity Review

Good authentication features and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for authenticating users on our system and our clients' systems. Not only Google, but also to integrate Google Cloud Identity with other systems such as MDM (Mobile Device Management) solutions, and endpoints — like computers.

What is most valuable?

Mainly we find that all the authentication features that we are using now are the most valuable. We have not looked at the whole product and explored it completely as this was primarily what we wanted it for. Maybe in another year of use and discovery, I will have different opinions.

What needs improvement?

To improve the product, the integration with third-party products could always be smoother. I cannot pinpoint a specific new feature that we will need in the future as the product is serving our purposes. But if we talk about integration with third parties, then there is always room for improvement and making things easier from an implementation standpoint.

We started off last autumn as a Google partner. So, we have been using it since last year.

The stability of the product is good. We have had no issues.

The scalability is good. Our company has only a small number of users. We really deployed it and use it to be able to learn it and implement it for other customers as well. So in our environment where we actually build and do customer testing, there are maybe a maximum of ten accounts that we actually use. We may plan to increase usage in the future.

We have not had a reason to get in touch with technical support, so our experience to this point has been good.

There are a lot of different products like this that we have used, but the one that we can directly compare with is Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium, which we also use quite a lot. We have not actually switched. We are still using Microsoft as well. Before we started using Google Cloud Identity we mainly just used Microsoft Azure.

The initial setup is really okay. We do these third-party system integrations a lot with this and other products, so I think it is no harder than with any other systems to do. For the deployment of Google Cloud Identity to all departments, it took maybe half-an-hour.

We did the implementation by ourselves within the company without the help of an integrator or consultant. It took five people for the deployment. Their roles are system architects and engineers. Maintenance requires just a couple of people.

The product is billed on a monthly basis. I think it can be free for a certain number of users when you have the G Suite. At some point, it starts to cost something per user, but I'm not sure of the exact pricing at this time.

What other advice do I have?

It is as good as anything else in the product category. It works just like other products that do the same, like Oracle (Identity Cloud Service) or Microsoft Azure or Okta.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as maybe about an eight.

Google