Google Cloud SQL Review

The pricing, compared to other solutions, was an important factor in choosing this product.

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is real-time communication software, chatting services and a few other different services running on the mobile apps. So, the primary requirement for Google SQL was taking off the management heading.

What is most valuable?

It's all built into the web browser, so any operating system will work. It's easy to manage. They help me take care of the replication data backups and software upgrades, updates and so on. They take care of everything.

I no longer need experts in database management. When I say database management, I don't mean SQL commands and which command is better or which query is better constructed. The database management in terms of memory, configuration, disc space, archiving, back-ups, replication problems, updates and so on. So, I no longer need someone or a team of people sitting around, taking care of my database infrastructure. I only have Google for that.

What needs improvement?

In my opinion the most vulnerable problem with Google SQL is each SQL node is provided with a public IP address. They provide you the option or ability to customize your access control list, but at the end of the day, it's a public IP address.

Less than one year.

Quite honestly my usage so far did not test the limits of scalability. I cannot really comment on that one.

I have not used technical support.

When we were using the Rackspace, we only used Rackspace virtual machines, for our virtual machine requirements, as well as our own SQL requirements. So, we had virtual machines, hosting SQL databases. And, it didn't really work out in our favor.

It was very straightforward. Just a couple of clicks, and we were done.

The pricing is very much an important factor as to why we use this solution.

When considering other options, we considered AWS, Google Cloud, Ocean and Rackspace UK.

What other advice do I have?

I need to make sure that my data is stored securely, transported securely and accessed securely. And the second thing is the number of options I have. Google Cloud SQL gives us more options.

My suggestion to anyone thinking about this solution is to jump into it head-first!