Google Cloud SQL Review

Easy to use, efficient, simple, and user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to have it run as a database for an application and to store data. We are using the public deployment model of this solution. It runs really well, it's cheap, it's efficient, it's user-friendly,

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's easy to use, simple, and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other tools could improve this solution. For example, data analytics is very important, so that's why I go to BigQuery. They should make things more user-friendly, not technically on the use of SQL but when it comes to integrating it with other tools, it could be like dashboards or business intelligence. I believe Google is already working on that as well because they bought Looker about a month ago. I would like to see better integration with all the different tools on the platform.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It's very stable, we haven't had any issues at all.

It does have good scalability. We haven't had any problems with that.

We have ten users using this solution. Those users are clients who we provide services for. We do have plans to increase usage.

In terms of how many staff are required for the maintenance of this solution, in our team, we are eight. We do many things. Our focus now is on BigQuery, so data warehousing.

I have previously worked with Microsoft and Amazon AWS. I switched because I just like Google. I think it's a great platform.

The two main competitors are Microsoft and Amazon Web Services. Out of these three, Google is the smallest when it comes to cloud in general, but I am pretty happy with how things are moving. I've been using Google for many years now and the services and it runs very well. I also use G Suite, Google Docs, you name it. It all works really well. It's user-friendly, to the point, it's not complicated. Whereas with Microsoft and some Amazon services can get quite complicated.

Although, maybe some of their services are more expanded, and maybe you can do some more. From a technical point, they are more advanced sometimes. You could say that for Amazon. My experience is that if a tool is easy to use and you get the job done in the fastest way possible, that tool has a great chance of becoming the leader because it's about user-friendliness. With Google, you get the job done and that's why you use these companies.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around ten minutes.

I deployed this solution myself.

We have seen an ROI from this solution.

It's really cheap. It wouldn't be more than, I believe it's around 50 euro per month for running a cloud SQL.

There aren't any additional costs that I'm aware of.

I used Microsoft and Amazon and I also looked at Oracle, which is also an extraordinary company. When it comes to databases Oracle is very good. The problem with Oracle is that they're a bit of a world of their own. Whereas with Google, they're pretty open-source and open-minded, so they embrace the multi-cloud and hybrid cloud. That's what makes Google attractive.

What other advice do I have?

Go for this solution because it gets the job done and it's cheap. You're up and running fast. That's what you want.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten. Not a perfect ten because nothing is perfect.