Google Cloud SQL Review

Scalable and cost effective solution for data analysis

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it for marketing data and marketing analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

This version of Cloud SQL becomes a part of our larger data warehouse, which is just a part that the SQL manages. I work on the visualization part. So I usually already have all my data coming into my dashboard and that's where I get my insights from. I don't dig it out from the SQL.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is that it's scalable. I can start off with a base of a lot of data and move as much as I want and it's the same as if asked to do a lot of infrastructure changes. I can start a release model experiment on a thousand people, and if that experiment is a success I can run it on a million people, and the whole analysis doesn't require any changes so it's scalable that way. It's much more cost-sensitive. It's not that costly for me to do it.

What needs improvement?

The only room for improvement here is that they need to connect to more existing data sources so that it becomes easier for a layman to get a more realistic understanding of what's happening. They don't put data outside of the cloud storage. If I can query and there is some way for me to ingest it with various query cells, that would be great.

Better connectivity with other marketing tools would be helpful. Right now it's limited in scope relative to the other connectors. So they should build more connectors, making it easier to connect the data.

There's no standalone application that I could just click and start shooting it.

I have been using Google Cloud SQL for the last two months.

In terms of stability, Google Cloud SQL is very stable. There are stability issues but they get fixed when I'm running it for the smaller experiments or the smallest subset. So whatever code outlier situations exist, we are able to understand that it's a smaller subset and when we scale it back it is not really an issue.

As I mentioned above in the features section, Google Cloud SQL's scalability is one of its best features.

We get very good support from Google. If we have any questions at all we talk to them and they work it out. So it's very good.

I previously used a different solution for our marketing database, but it was very limited in scope. Moving forward, Google Cloud SQL is the only data warehouse I will ever use.

The initial setup was straightforward. Our deployment took around two months.

We implemented it ourselves. We are a consultancy company, so I asked my engineer to build it for us.

The advice I would give before starting up is to have a small interactive introductory session with some domain experts because even though it looks quite similar to MySQL and all the other SQL solutions out there, Google Cloud SQL lets me do a lot more. And it offers a lot of perks if you know how exactly to handle the product. So even if it is with a small, introductory session of two hours or three hours long, where the experts tell me that, "Hey, this is the whole scope of this solution or the product but it will be scaled up," it will help the end-users a lot because the documentation itself is not that extensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have 11 - 12 people working with it - all marketing people.

On a scale from 1 to 10, 1 is the lowest and 10 the highest, I'd give it an 8.

Google
More Google Cloud SQL reviews from users
...who compared it with Amazon RDS
Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Microsoft, Amazon and others in Database as a Service. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.