Google Firebase Review

Real-time change triggers and push notifications enhance our product functionality and offering

What is our primary use case?

I started using it for web development, taking advantage of the SDK to speed up the development process. Since you do not need to create an API, you can connect to Firebase from JavaScript.

How has it helped my organization?

The product that we sell has a lot of important features, and one is the real-time chat that was only made possible by Firebase. Currently, we are working on a migration from another document database to Firestore, which is the second generation of Firebase.

Firestore makes possible more things than Firebase. It is a mix of Datastore and Firebase. We needed a database that provides high consistency and scalability, given the real-time feature. This helped our organization a lot because the process to develop everything was very fast, thanks to its SDK.

What is most valuable?

The Realtime Database feature is the most important for us since we are able to see changes in the database the moment they are happening. So, we built a real-time chat where users are able to talk with each other. Also, the push notifications on smartphones are another important feature that we discovered later, and it made a big impact on our portal.

The Firebase functions that act as triggers to let you know when there are changes in the database are very helpful.

Another important feature would be the SDK. You do not have to create an API since you are able to query the database directly from JavaScript or any other language.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have a facility for testing possible scenarios by writing dummy data and then doing different queries. This would help me to better develop applications.

I have been using Google Firebase for two years.

We have never had problems in the two years that we have been working on this database.

We currently have around 500,000 and the database works very well.

So far, we haven't need to contact customer service. The documentation is clear about how to implement it.

We were using CouchDB and we changed because we needed to use a managed service. The one available on GCP was Firebase.

The initial setup is simple since you only need to create an account on the Firebase website.

We implemented this completely using our internal team.

The monthly cost is based on writing data and queries to the database. The price, I would say, is cheap. You can use this database in the free tier even for production with small applications.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Queries to the database were very simple. However, modeling is a challenge and I recommend running proof of concepts when you want to store something new in the database.

Overall, I have to say that this database is great.

Google