Google Hangouts Review

Video conferencing that is of good quality and is easy to use, but scheduling meetings is not part of the package

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases of this solution are virtual meetings with colleagues and video conferencing with friends.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that you don't have to create a separate account, it's easy to use, and you don't have to enter an ID or password to start video conferencing. This is because it is already in your Google account.

What needs improvement?

Connectivity and voice clarity is good. If I had to rate it out of ten, I would give it an eight. However, there were times when I used Google Hangouts on my phone and the voice quality was bad.

The back button functionality needs to be improved. When you hit the back button, you get out of the meeting. What should happen if you are in a meeting and you press the back button is that you would still be in the meeting but you would be able to see the other available features of your phone or use other apps. With Zoom, you are able to do those things.

They don't have a way to schedule a meeting as you with other solutions. If you compare it to Zoom, in that product you can schedule a meeting and send a link to others. The option it provides is to start a meeting then to invite or add. If you don't know their Gmail address then you can't invite them to join.

Google Hangouts restricts you to those with a Gmail account.

It's not easy to share. If you are with Zoom there is not share or deny, you send a link and they will be able to join you. It's made to be simple.

Once Google Hangouts is launched you are able to start meetings. Your contacts are all listed but only Google Hangouts contacts are available. If someone does not have Google Hangouts then there is no way to invite them to the meetings.

The UI is good, but the transaction needs improvement. The flow from jumping from one screen to another is a bit complicated.

I used Google Hangouts for approximately two months.

I have never contacted technical support.

I stopped using Google Hangouts about a month ago. I now use Zoom or Google Meet for video conferencing. Google Hangouts is complicated and there are many solutions on the market that are more simplified, which is the reason I stopped using it.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's easy and fast. Depending on your internet speed, it only takes a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution. They have Google Meets, which does the same as Google Hangouts and it has more features. I would advise them to use Google Meets instead.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud