Google Stackdriver Review

Provides visibility into the performance uptime and the overall health of our cloud applications

What is our primary use case?

We use Stackdriver for real-time log management analysis, it provides cloud log in a fully managed service for the GKE requirements. We also use it to collect messages, some events,  metadata and the like from cloud. I'm the director and function head of risk and technology change, and we are customers of Google.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization by reducing latency and also monitoring the costs of GCP usage by using the logging and monitoring features. We've been able to look at it and see the optimal size of infrastructure and figure out costing. That's a good site outcome, other than the regular application monitoring that we get.

What is most valuable?

Stackdriver provides visibility into the performance uptime and the overall health of the cloud applications that we have.

What needs improvement?

I think given it's a new application, a new solution on the block, operations documentation could be a bit better. It took us some time to get up and running with it. It would have been helpful if they had provided some migration tools. For example, you're never going to get away from Genius. We have to do most of the work manually. The tools would have helped us to migrate scripts from other well-known software products and other management tools for Stackdriver. A helpful feature would be for them to improve cost transparency.

We've been using this solution for the past six months.

I believe the solution is stable, we haven't had any problems.

The solution provides observability at scale which is good. For now, we're still in pilot mode but plan to increase usage in the next phase.

We switched from Genius to Stackdriver because we went from an in-house platform to Google Cloud providers. We needed a performance solution that was on cloud.

The initial setup is not complex but it would have been better if they had a few tools to help migrate off the Legacy platforms that we use. Deployment took a few weeks and we did it ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

If you're moving to GCP, then Stackdriver is the right way to go. However, if you're moving to a different platform that's not GCP, Stackdriver may not integrate with it well.

I would rate the solution higher but because we had some initial hiccups I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Private Cloud