Google Vault Review

Ability to easily search for and indefinitely retain data is excellent; very user friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our company mainly provides engineering support for customers using Google Vault. We are based in Mexico but also service other countries. Our work is all remote. We are vendors and I'm a software analyst engineer.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable features are Gmail and Drive. The solution is also very helpful with Google Chat messages, because sometimes you might be missing some information and you can search for it in Google Vault, a very helpful feature for our customers. The solution enables you to indefinitely retain data. It's a great feature. As a technical engineer, I find the solution user friendly.

What needs improvement?

eDiscovery could be improved. It's used for searching, holding, and exporting data for Vault and I believe it should be updated. They could maybe provide a little bit more information and an easier way to retain that information. I'd like to see something more friendly for our customers. As a technical engineer, I can understand some of the things that Google Vault shows, but if a customer doesn't have a technical background, it would be difficult for them to actually know what it does.

The solution is stable although I think that when it comes to big companies, there are some issues because it's difficult to know the magnitude; how many exports, imports, or queries the customer wants to run. I'd say it's close to 90% stable. It requires monthly internal maintenance and a quarterly maintenance that Google updates. It notifies you when you need to implement updates.

We haven't tried scaling the solution. We're dealing with 20 to 30 companies including Twitter, Spotify, Snapchat, and also Netflix. So those are the big companies that use it. Basically the people using it are the administrators of the control panel for Google. Those customers will be employers within the company.

Because I'm the first and second level of support, I contact our product team and let them know if there are any technical issues. They will try to solve the issue. I haven't had contact with Google Vault's technical support.

The initial setup can be quite complex, depending on the customer's configuration in the cloud. Deployment usually takes around 24 hours. Sometimes there are delays and it takes longer, but usually about 24 hours. We ask in advance for documentation with regard to the customer's configuration so we can get an idea of what will be involved in the implementation. After that, we make some exceptions and maybe some reproduction steps from our end. At that point we try to run it into production mode.

I'm not sure how the licensing works for customers. I know that you can buy a Vault license that includes a business, education and enterprise for education. Normally those are the customers that we support. There is another area that's a Vault add on and that's for essentials only. And those would only have to be verified within the domain.

What other advice do I have?

One of our recommendations to customers is to really take a look into the articles that Google provides publicly. They can also get access to videos that are really user friendly and helpful. I think right now Google Vault is well structured. It's important to read the requirements because even though the customers may think they have all the requirements, they have to really take a look that the version in their system is always updated. My most important advice is to save all your information, including what's been deleted because once it's gone, it's gone.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Google Vault. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.