GoToAssist Review

Has the ability to change the way that the client works to a service so that we can get a little bit deeper into the operating system

What is our primary use case?

We're an international help desk for companies, all primarily from a certain location. We're able to quickly log into anyone's computer using GoToAssist. We're also able to set up unattended sessions that allow us to get into computers immediately, whether the person is actually there or not if there's something that we need to do, which is especially helpful with servers.

How has it helped my organization?

For any one of our clients that is having any operating system problem or network problem, we're able to immediately connect to them and see with our own eyes what's happening and how to properly diagnose and fix it. It's not just time-saving. It would be almost impossible to do the same thing without dispatching personnel to the site without an application like this.

What is most valuable?

The ability to change the way that the client works to a service so that we can get a little bit deeper into the operating system, as opposed to just an app running is the most valuable aspect. We also like the unattended sessions. Those are probably the two most important things to us. It's important because we can't do certain things when it is just an application running. We have to have it run as a service with the computer so that we can do certain things and use certain functions. As far as the unattended session is concerned, we're able to connect to people's computers without them actually doing anything. We're able to connect to servers and other systems when there's nobody there.

What needs improvement?

It works exactly how we need it to work right now. If they included some sort of monitoring system for managed services so we can have it all in one package, that would be helpful. There are managed services solutions that allow us to remote into the computers, but a lot of them have too much overhead. Usually, the remote connection is not as simple and as fast and cannot be run as a service.

I have been using GoToAssist for seven to ten years.

It's an app that's on the workstation, but they also have a cloud-based solution that we can use. It's on their website. If you go to LogMeIn, you can log into their website and you have access to all of your unattended computer sessions.

We've never had any problems with stability. In the seven or so years we've had it, we've never experienced any downtime.

I don't know what the limit is on unattended sessions. I'm sure there should be something there. As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't tell how many unattended sessions we have there, but it's an awful lot. There is no limit on regular sessions. So not every session we use is unattended. For a lot of sessions, we just have them click on the link for GoToAssistant. We give them the ID and we can connect to it. There's no limit as far as I'm concerned. You can have two clients or you can have 100,000 clients, it's all the same.

We have only three or four of these licenses and they're help desk technicians and engineers. They use it all day long. There is no maintenance needed.

GoToAssist is used every day, almost with every ticket that we get. As our clients increase, so will our usage.

I don't think we've ever used technical support. I don't remember there ever being any problems.

We previously used everything between pcAnywhere to TeamViewer. We switched because they all had problems. There were problems with speed, with the computers we could attach to, weird intermittent issues of not being able to send certain commands to the workstations, not being able to set up on attended sessions and the list goes on.

My company has been in business since '92. We've had a lot of different remote support-type applications. I don't have a list of all the ones we used over the years, but we try to use the latest and greatest to give our clients the quickest resolution to any problem.

The initial setup couldn't be more simple. It's just so simple. If a client doesn't have it on their system, we have them go to a website and all they need to do is punch in their name, we give them a key, it downloads an application, they launch it, and we connect to them. It's very, very simple to do. Once we're connected to them, as long as we get permission, we can set up an unattended session from our end. They don't need to do anything.

The deployment takes as fast as the customer can punch in their name and their ID that we give them.

We really didn't need a strategy because we use it on the fly. We are a help desk. So we have tickets that come in, we have to contact the client, connect to their system if possible, and resolve their issues. As we worked with the clients, each individual, we would then connect to their system and have them launch it the first time after that. If we were allowed to, we would just set up an unattended session so we can get back to their computer whenever we needed it.

We didn't need any help with the deployment. We did it ourselves.

We wouldn't be able to offer the services that we offer without a product like this.

It's very inexpensive. The seats are $25 monthly apiece or something. There aren't additional costs that I'm aware of.

We looked at TeamViewer.  I remember when pcAnywhere came out. We've been trying to always get a better ability to assist our clients faster, easier, and with less of their input. At the time, this was the best solution and I haven't seen anything out there or any problem with LogMeIn so that we would change and go to something else.

The only thing that we would like is some sort of managed services embedded with it. That is the only reason we would change. We have another application that we use called CloudCare. It gives us some feedback from the client's computer based on the client software that is running. It also allows us to do a remote control session. It doesn't have as many of the bells and whistles and it's an HTML 5 connection. It's not as smooth, but we would like to see if GoToAssist has something like that so we get feedback from the client's computer with low overhead.

What other advice do I have?

There's really no implementation strategy. You just buy your licenses and start using it immediately. There's nothing to deploy. There's nothing you need to do.

The biggest lesson I have learned is that there are software applications out there that work exactly the way the vendor describes them, which is not always the case. That's nice to see. Most programs, operating systems, virtually, any program you can think of, you have certain problems with some incompatibilities. This is just something that we really don't have a problem with LogMeIn.

I'm not sure it works with Apple yet. Maybe that's something that can be addressed in the future.

I would rate GoToAssist a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about LogMeIn, ISL Online, BeyondTrust and others in Remote Access. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.