Graylog Review

Stable, scalable, easy to install and maintain

What is our primary use case?

We use Graylog for developer login to assist developers and help them find issues faster, and for certain applications in production.

How has it helped my organization?

The centralized logs where one can find bugs quicker and find the line of code that is a problem has made us more efficient. The turn around time for production support is quite high when using this kind of solution.

What is most valuable?

Graylog's search functionality, alerting functionality, user management, and dashboards are useful. They also provide an easy way to create dashboards, and the interface is also quite easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Graylog can improve the index rotation as it's quite complicated. They need to work on that because it's quite cumbersome to manage the index rotation with all the logs.

The filtering of logs before ingestion also needs a bit of work. This is because you have to write some code to avoid certain things before ingesting. As it doesn't support certain AIX versions, you need to upgrade the servers to accommodate it.

I have been using Graylog for about three years.

Graylog is quite stable, and the only issue is the index rotation.

Graylog is scalable and can be deployed in a clustered distributed environment.

The support from the Graylog community is helpful, but they can do better. The enterprise support doesn't really cater to open-source solutions. They only support you if you are an enterprise working on a POC. If you want to do a POC for an enterprise solution, they need assurances that you'll buy their enterprise solution.

I have used different solutions like Nagios before. These solutions are more like manual processes where logging and viewing of logs are conducted on the server.

Others like ELK are difficult to use because it isn't straightforward and requires a lot of reading. You have to learn quite a lot before using it.

Graylog is quite easy to set up. As it comes with a prepackaged installation file, it's not complex to install and takes one to three days to deploy. If you have to study the documentation and then implement it, I think you can do it within a week.

All implementation was handled in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Graylog is straightforward to install and easy to maintain. It also comes with alerting. But one has to be mindful of the support and disadvantages like the index rotation.

On a scale from one to ten, I give Graylog an eight.

7.4
Find out what your peers are saying about Graylog, Splunk, Elastic and others in Log Management. Updated: February 2021.
464,857 professionals have used our research since 2012.