GTB Technologies Inspector Review

Helps to develop business processes and has the ability to test on its own

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to protect our confidential documents from being stolen from the network and endpoints

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization, primarily in helping to develop my business processes, and for confidential government information.

This solution helps classify what is confidential and what is not, allowing products to be installed at home if they do not contain confidential information.

When defining responsibilities for my staff, I had to develop awareness programs for everyone.

Because this solution offers IRM (Information Rights Management), we can send any documents to other companies in the world and control what they do with them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Endpoint Protector. It is the most lightweight in comparison to other competitors. The more documents fingerprinted - the bigger database storage is needed. It's OK for GTB Inspector itself. On the other hand Endpoint Protector has to load this database into memory and it could slow endpoint performance in case of low memory. To avoid such impact GTB applies on endpoints additional hash algorithm for database with fingerprints to make it smaller ten times and keep detection by fingerprints with high level.

Another feature is that Endpoint Protector can stop everything, even if it's not connected to the management console.

What needs improvement?

A problem with this solution is with database security. Most data in databases with such products are not appropriate for securing data in databases.

They are very good with documents that are stored on servers, but they don't know what to do with the data in the databases, and there is a lack of functionality.

GTB has the best connectors to the database, but the product is not intended for securing databases. They concentrated only on endpoints such as notebooks, desktops, and servers, but there are no mobile endpoints in their environment.

To stay competitive, they should expand to smartphones.

It's a simple interface, but it's not a problem. GTB provides everything from one the central web console.

Another issue with this solution is, not only do you have to defend against intrusions from problems within the perimeters, you have to see what it is doing with the information from inside of your network.

Inside the network, the bandwidth is too large but still requires inspection. External channels are one gigabyte and internal channels are forty gigabytes, and this presents a problem because you have to invest in hardware where the GTB is installed if you want to see what is inside of your network.

The need to include mobile security, and DLP for mobiles. It should be like MDM, integrated with DLP, but I want it from a box, not from another developer.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This solution is fast, especially for management consoles and regular expression rules. Within minutes or less, you could see events in the management console. It is much faster than Symantec, for example.

I don't remember when we restarted this solution last, but it was most likely during the last upgrade of this version.

This solution is scalable.

To be a scalable solution, you will have to have the ability to see what is going on inside your network. To do that, you have to invest in hardware for your solution.

This solution allows you to add many models inside of your network.

In practice, this solution could be used by three or four people, but it could be covered by thousands or more.

The technical support was good, and most of the developers are from Kiev.

Previously we used Websense and Symantec.

GTB has a feature called IRM. Other DLP suites lack this feature.

This feature allows you to send documents outside of your corporation and have the ability to monitor the activities with these documents, such as, who has accessed the document, when and where the document was accessed.

You are also able to set the time of life for this document.

For our organization, this feature is a must and, GTB is the only real competitor. Other suites have to implement integration with stumbling blocks.

GTB and Forcepoint are the easiest solutions to be installed, from the DLPs used on the market.

There are many services, but they can be installed flawlessly.

Our deployment model was public and private commercial.

Before the implementation of this solution, preparation is a must. All processes have to be done, and there must be full awareness. It can be complex if you don't know the solution, because you cannot defend it, making it useless.

If you are not aware then you cannot banish intruders from the endpoint. It would be all one-sided.

Usually, such products need integrators, especially when we are talking about Symantec, but this solution can be implemented by the customer.

What other advice do I have?

GTB Technologies Inspector is very good. There is no reason for us to switch from one product to another.

I would recommend using GTB because you can test it on their own and it's really simple.

This solution does not work unless you have material/business processes, without it you have nothing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten, as there is always room for improvement.