Guidance Software EnCase Review

It is useful for an initial assessment as well as to crack cases

What is most valuable?

Most of the features of Encase are very user-friendly. Simultaneously, we can process many search operations: Multiple sorting and regular expression search are a couple of those features.

How has it helped my organization?

I had been using Encase as a digital forensicator professional for over a decade. I have used this to solve many cases. It is useful for an initial assessment as well as to crack cases. It is user-friendly. Currently, I am in the education field teaching a master's degree in cyber forensics and information security. I use this tool for giving demonstrations to students, and also for them to practice with it.

What needs improvement?

I suggest that if the mobile phone acquisition is embedded in the Encase law enforcement version, it would be very useful. As of now, only a few mobile phones, especially the smart phones, have the acquisition embedded.

I have been using this tool for over a decade.

Not exactly.

Not exactly.

Perfect.

The initial setup was not complex.

It is a very useful tool. It is worth buying irrespective of price. I do suggest there should be an education license at a lower price.

I had been using both Encase and FTK.

I think any organization should have a combination of licenced tools and also open source, so they can compare our results.

What other advice do I have?

It is an essential tool to have in place in any forensic lab.