HAProxy Review

Provides us with reliable load balancing, we have never had any downtime

What is our primary use case?

I am using HAProxy on a live production Web Server (Apache load balancing). It's a very good open-source solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Four to five years back, we were struggling with Web load-balancing; we were facing issues with a single Apache. We got the best, and open-source, solution.

What is most valuable?

Load balancing, mainly. We are using two Apaches with HAProxy load-balancing.

Some people use HAProxy to load balance MySQL databases as well.

What needs improvement?

They should introduce one feature that I know many people, including me, are waiting for: HAProxy should have provide hot-swipe for back-end servers, no downtime while shifting back-end servers.

They also need a more detailed GUI for monitoring and configuration.

Three to five years.

I have been using this solution for the last four to five years with no downtime.

No issues with scalability.

Easy to set up.

If you don't have expertise then go with the licensed version. Otherwise, open-source is the best solution.

What other advice do I have?

I will always give HAProxy a 10 out of 10. We never have any downtime with it. The HAProxy team regularly updates the product. I would definitely recommend HAProxy. You must go with this product.

1 Comment
System Administrator with 11-50 employeesUser

We use haproxy and I feel the same as the reviewer. Works great, easy to setup and change. Just works! We have open source version running on Centos.

28 February 19