HAProxy Review

Reduced the load on our main load balancers

What is our primary use case?

We are using HAProxy for our internal load balancers between the front-end and back-end services. HAProxies are configured either manually (LVS redundancy included) or automatically (ambassador pattern by using a Consul & Consul-Template).

How has it helped my organization?

It reduced the load on our main load balancers.

What is most valuable?

• Flexible health-checking
  • Good config format to auto-configure

What needs improvement?

We need to handle new connections by dropping, or queuing them while the HAProxy restarts, and because HAProxy does not handle split config files.

More than five years.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

We did not need technical support because the documentation is good.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

We use NGINX as well. However, because the health checks are a paid feature, I like to avoid it whenever possible.

We pretty much know all the software out there and its capabilities, so we did not evaluate anything else.

What other advice do I have?

Use a split front-end and back-end instead of using the "listen" directive. Therefore, you are clear what you are setting up.

Be aware of connections dropping during restarts, etc.

1 Comment
Haim AriVendor

Hello,
somewhere around version 1.8 of haproxy a new feature was released which helps to reduce connection drops to zero (at least according to the test i made)
At this post i mention the test and the source to "truly-seamless-reloads-with-haproxy"

Hope this helps out