HAProxy Review

A containerized solution for TCP load balancing

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to mount service for Redis.

How has it helped my organization?

It made something possible where I do load balancing on a container, without having to configure it at the firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the TCP load balancing. It solves a problem for me where I can build files, not based on the health of the check, but rather the speed of the check. I found that functionality to be quite useful.

What needs improvement?

The logging functionality could use improvement, as it is a little cryptic. Additional logging functionality with better documentation would be helpful.

Six months.

I'm quite happy with the frequency in which new versions and updates come out. Each release either adds some functionality or fixes some bugs, from what I've seen. I've upgraded the HAProxy probably ten times now, and have never had an issue.

I have never had to use the solution's technical support.

I found that the setup was pretty straightforward, although I had read a book on HAProxy before I started the project. I had given it some thought in terms of what it was that I wanted to do. The book that I read was good, and it was easy for me to install the product.

Only one person is required for deployment and maintenance.

We are not paying for HAProxy support. We're using the free version, compiling it in a container, and using it. The only cost is for the image manager, who is responsible for uploading the image, and that is trivial.

I chose this solution because I have to operate within a Docker container, and this is the only one that I could get to work.

What other advice do I have?

Once the container is set up, the time it takes to deploy is typically under a minute. That is a full-blown solution with all the plugins and images that I'm planning on using. I'm pretty happy with it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.