HCL Connections Review

I find that communities is one of the best features of the product.

What is most valuable?

• Business contacts network: You can define a business network like LinkedIn, but limited to your installation. You can also view the organizational chart inside the tool.
  • Communities: One of the best functionality of the product. Complete functionalities.
  • Automatic notifications: Users receive notification of all activities done on Connections. When files created, modified, ..., the platform advise users of some of the contents within the function of the role and the past activities. Users can also decide the way in which notifications are sent (they can filter the type of event and also the timing).

How has it helped my organization?

Marketing has created a community open to all internal employees where it has centralized all marketing content (brochures, presentations, communications).

Compared to the past, now we have a single point of interest where all content is available, and all employees receive a notification when new content is published. In addition, all employees can provide feedback and a personal impression about all shared content.

What needs improvement?

File management: File management is a little poor. For example, you don’t have the ability to create a folder or organize the contents of a folder. Some functionalities are available only if the customer also buys the IBM FileNet platform.

User management: Users are mainly on LDAP. There is no way to create a user “on the fly” and to add it to a community or business network. You must track all users on LDAP before interacting with them and this is very boring, especially if you have to interact with external users.

I have used it for two years.

I had some problems on earlier releases; in 4.5, I’ve only noticed some browser incompatibilities.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is 8/10.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Initial setup has been simple.

Pricing is not so “easy to access”; licencing is for a single user.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

It’s very important to understand what you want to do with “social” before implementing something on the platform.

More HCL Connections reviews from users