HCL Connections Review

File sharing is the number one feature. Documents and other live files can follow me everywhere.

What is most valuable?

File sharing is the number one feature. Profiles would probably be second, but I think file sharing, by far, is the most important aspect of it. I can have a document, or whatever live file I want; I can have it everywhere. It can follow me everywhere. It's like our private cloud. Then come the profiles; being able to find people.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit is ease of use. It is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see them take nested files out. I know they advertise that. I think that's bad.

I think they've implemented most of what I've been asking for.

Actually, they could implement Watson in a way that it would determine what I want to see, content-wise, and remove the need to follow people, and thereby take away that "fire hose" of information. In today's model, connections content is like a fire hose. As you follow and network with people, you see all of their activity. Eventually in a large company/large network, important activity can be lost in that stream of "following". I would like to see Watson implemented in such a way that I no longer have to create a network and select people to follow. Watson could interpret the data available and present to me what is most important and needs to be seen by me.

And their testing, when they release new packs, is not where it should be. Their technical support suffers because of it.

It is stable and reliable.

It is highly and easily scalable.

Technical support is average; 2.5/5. They have a tendency to ignore all of the information you give them on the first call, or the case opening. They ask for the information again, in separate replies and calls, and it would just be nice to streamline that process. They make what should take a day take a week.

We didn't have anything previously. We consulted with our user base, and they asked for it. It was a long, drawn-out evaluation, and that's what we ended up with.

Setup is complex. It's loosely documented. We've actually had to bring in IBM resources every time, because the wiki is not all-inclusive on information. That definitely makes it more complex.

It's also not a seamless application. It's dozens of applications rolled into one, and each one is configured differently. That makes it more complex than it has to be.

We looked at Microsoft and Google.

Reliability is the most important criteria when selecting a vendor. We've had past experience with IBM for a long time, so we knew that they were a reliable vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Engage the IBM Professional Services team.