HCL Domino Review

Stable with good security and great integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We have developed 100 plus applications on this platform. For instance, the entire HR solution is built on that solution. Our HR management system is on Notes and Domino. The leave management system in Notes and Domino as well as the employee attendance system, performance reviews, and the reimbursement management system. Any area of HR and sub-service of employees is developed on Notes and Domino.

We have developed some sort of interface with the procurement management system that is eventually integrated with Oracle Financials. There are so many other processes of our core banking system that are developed on Notes and Domino. They all are connected to our core banking systems, our Oracle Financial, and other systems. The main focus is that any process that requires any approvals or any workflows, is developed on Notes and Domino.

What is most valuable?

It is a wonderful tool.

It offers a very stable environment.

The security is very good.

The integration capabilities are great.

It is a beautiful platform for low-code and no-code developments and offers comprehensive solution development.

The pricing is excellent.

HCL is doing a wonderful job. I appreciate HCL. Whatever they are introducing in terms of new features has been great. I've got 20 years of experience on Notes and Domino and I love their way of working. They are improving the product continuously. That's the reason I'm trying my best to get approval from our regulator to keep the product intact.

What needs improvement?

Recently, IBM sold the product to HCL. Since Pakistan and India have some problems on a domestic level, we were actually considering replacing it with Indian products from the organization. We're just facing some regulatory issues.

I've been using the solution for 20 years or so at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is stable. In 20 years, I don't think we've had even five minutes of downtime despite all the upgrades, parallel activities, patch management, et cetera. Everything was done in parallel and we have never, never, ever had even five minutes of blackout for users.

We have approximately 13,500 to 14,000 users on this solution.

We might switch to another solution. It's not clear yet if we will.

We find the price to be quite reasonable. It's not overly expensive.

We have evaluated SAP, Oracle ERP, and IBM BPM, as well as SharePoint. We were planning to migrate the entire solution on the platform known as Xpage. Xpage is a wonderful web interface for Notes and Domino on which when you design an application, it seamlessly works on the client, web, and mobile. You design once and use it anywhere. That's the concept. We've also looked into Mendix.

SharePoint is a good tool, however, it cannot handle complex scenarios. The stability is also a challenge in SharePoint as Microsoft does not provide a clear roadmap on its product. If you develop an application on this platform, tomorrow they'll bring a new version and they don't provide the upgrade. We need to rebuild everything on the new product as we have already developed so many systems on VB6, then we were planning to switch them on .NET. And eventually, the .NET version one was introduced for a short time, and then the new language was introduced, C#.

It's really difficult to migrate the entire system from one language of one platform to another. Just like if you spend one year building an application and this application is discontinued by the product owner.

That's the reason we prefer Notes and Domino. We are using few applications that we developed 20 years ago. We upgraded Notes and Domino on four major releases, however, a 20-years-old application can still work fine. We don't need to modify this application. We don't need to upgrade this application. Backward compatibility is marvelous on Notes and Domino.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We have not received the approvals to upgrade the solution on 11, which is why we are still using the last version released by IBM.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. I've been extremely happy with its capabilities.

More HCL Domino reviews from users
...who compared it with Mendix
Find out what your peers are saying about HCL, Microsoft, Temenos and others in Rapid Application Development Software. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.