HelpSystems AutoMate Review

Good scheduling features, but there is no auto-record functionality and it needs to be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the RPA products that we have evaluated for our clients. We do have experience with it because one of our clients has been using it. However, this is not the right tool for our clients and I would not be comfortable bringing it up.

It is used for very rudimentary stored-procedure automation. Basically, it is for running scripts.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for my client are timing and scheduling. They are not using it to its full potential, so this is what is most important for them.

What needs improvement?

There are many things that need to be improved.

The security needs to be improved. They do not encrypt passwords, so this is an issue with HIPAA compliance.

They don't have an auto-recording capability, which means that you have to program everything.

The impression that we had and the feedback that we received is that the interface is confusing and there are too many things that you have to do. It can be a very intimidating UI for a lot of people. They have drag-and-drop features, but they are not all that great. The interface needs to be streamlined and if they want broader adoption in a company then they need to do a better job at taking the technology out of it.

Unlike many of the larger competitors, they do not have a Community Edition where you can deploy it and test it out. You might be able to run it for a month or a couple of weeks, but that is not enough. I think that this is something they could improve on.

My client has been using HelpSystems AutoMate for more than a year.

Scaling this product can be very complicated and confusing.

We only have a single client using it.

We had Professional Services included and from a service perspective, I think that they are good. However, they are definitely focused on the smaller scale, technical RPA work, rather than the holistic, large-business process market.

I would say that the support is fine and the knowledge is there, but they have a very technical skillset.

The licensing fees are comparable with the other products in the market. It comes with a package that costs approximately $20,000 USD per year.

HelpSystems Automate is a niche player in the RPA market and not very well known.

One key difference is that more mature tools will have an auto-record feature, where you can press a button and it will record what you're doing. The security is also better in other products.

Competing products have better drag-and-drop capabilities.

One of my clients recently implemented UiPath, rather than this product.

What other advice do I have?

HelpSystems is a smaller company, so they are able to give their customers a lot of attention. I would say that on a small scale, this is a good low-code alternative. On the other hand, if you are looking for something more mature then it is not the right company.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

More HelpSystems AutoMate reviews from users
...who compared it with UiPath
Learn what your peers think about HelpSystems AutoMate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,307 professionals have used our research since 2012.