HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Review

Easy to use, saves us time, has built-in compression and encryption, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is file transfer between trading partners and internally to different applications on Windows, Linux, AIX, and iSeries machines.

We are running on Windows.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, scripts were written in Windows batch files and it was taking lots of time. With GoAnywhere, it is simpler and has more functionality.

The scripts can be written very quickly. With GoAnywhere advanced workflow, I was able to expand the scripting to include more features like emailing the log. I was able to send emails to the business unit that included what file was transferred and at what time.

Our old system used to take five minutes to transfer over 10MB of data. With GoAnywhere, it takes a few seconds. Now I can perform and schedule more FTPs than before and it takes fewer system resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Advanced Workflows. It is useful for an open VMS system. With DOS-style batch files, it was long and difficult. With GoAnywhere, however, it was very easy.

With the Advanced Workflows, I can manipulate the date and send the file with an old date to the host. This is a great feature.

It has built-in zip compression as well as encryption features and we do not have to buy additional licenses for this functionality.

I also like the IP Filter list. It can protect the system from outside attacks using Banned IP addresses. It has very good security features.

With Web users, I can use the IP filter. It can be done with each user.

GoAnywhere integrates well with other products.

It sends an email alert if the process fails.

What needs improvement?

I think that this product has most of the features we require, although the license is expensive.

DNS support needs attention. If the hostname has a dash in it then it does not work. Without a dash being included, it works fine. This is something that needs to updated in the next release.

The shared mailbox support for OWA in the cloud needs to be improved. The shared mailbox does not have a password, and we cannot use it. If there is a password for it then it works well.

if you have host name with example aaa-fgju than in web user ip filter list the name aaa-fgju will not work. If you have host name fghhg1 then it will work. The agent is good feature but license is bit expensive.

I have been using GoAnywhere MFT for more than six years.

It is very stable. We never experience downtime, exept during upgrades.

Scalability is very good. I saw only this level with high availability solutions.

Technical support is excellent. They are always willing to help and want to resolve the issue ASAP.

Prior to GoAnywhere, we used FTP Serv-U and FTP Voyager. FTP Voyager is a free product but the functionality is very limited. It was not able to meet our business requirements. As technology changes, FTP Voyager does not have good features for new technology.

It also has high CPU utilization because it was written for workstation OS. The interface for FTP Voyager was simple but very functionality-wise, it was too basic. There were lots of restrictions while using it.

Everything was written manually. Lots of the time, we were not able to justify business needs with FTP Voyager. We needed a product that serves our business needs and found that GoAnywhere was the perfect one for us.

The initial setup was simple. It took only one hour to set up the product.

The product was implemented in-house.

It saves lots of time in terms of administration. With is product, I can perform other duties and it requires less intervention on a daily basis.

Licensing can be expensive and it depends upon which features you want to buy. If the license were cheaper then we would buy more features.

I have used other vendors and found that GoAnywhere was the winner in terms of price and our business requirements. In our case, it meets all of the business requirements.

What other advice do I have?

This suitability of this product depends on business requirements.

For anybody who is implementing this product, I would suggest taking some time to learn Advanced Workflows because it is complex.

More HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT reviews from users