HelpSystems Intermapper Review

Graphical interface relates Layer 1 to Layer 3, virtually instantly, for our support staff

What is our primary use case?

It's our default, go-to product for up/down monitoring in real-time. We have seven individual servers that we're running Intermapper for, and we monitor about 30,000 devices right now.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a nice graphical interface, a nice map, that relates Layer 1 to Layer 3, virtually instantly, for the Helpdesk support staff. It provides a default place to get critical information so we can deploy our staff. We service over 111 local school districts.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its

• log history
  • real-time monitoring capabilities
  • accuracy -  the number of false positives is very low
  • mapping features.

What needs improvement?

I'd love to see more of the network management side of it coming back into it. If we were able to run scripts to bounce ports on switches, that would be great. It's asking a lot, but it's actually very doable because I do it through scripting into other products. If we could incorporate that directly into Intermapper, that would be fantastic. I'm looking to enhance the product with other products that it will work with it but give me extra features, such as the ability to balance ports.

I love the information I get off Intermapper, but I need to do more. Once I get the information, I need to function with it. If I could take it to the next level in a single pane of glass would be great, but right now, I bounce between six different products to get the job done. That's why I would love to see a single pane of glass; if I could find something that could reference the Intermapper databases that are already built. I don't want to replace Intermapper, I want to enhance it with other products.

More than five years.

The stability is absolutely fantastic.

Regarding scalability, it does well. If you're trying to do flows, it's limited because of the hardware requirements in the background, but if you're using it for up/down-type monitoring, it scales up very well.

I've used tech support once or twice. At the time, it was when HelpSystems had just taken them over. It was a little rocky. But that was probably three years ago.

The setup was very straightforward but we've been running Intermapper for 10 years.

We're looking at SolarWinds and the new version of Intermapper - we're grandfathered in for it, so I'm not worried about that. We want to definitely deploy that. The cost of SolarWinds is too high. Extreme has an educational program that is priced right. It's about $5,000 for 35, 000 nodes.

What other advice do I have?

Put Intermapper in as your base to start from, hands-down.

My most important criterion when selecting a vendor is product reliability. It actually has to run. A lot of products make promises and the stuff just doesn't work.

I would rate Intermapper a nine out of 10. Actually, it's a 10 because it does what it says it will do. In and of itself it's a 10. But I would like to see additional features put into it.