Heroku Review

How I hosted a local television contest for $2.37 on heroku

Big spender.

There’s my heroku bill after hosting the voting for a local television contest. $2.37. Over 40,000 people used the app over a period of 2 weeks.

I spent the same amount on coffee this morning.

What?! How?!

I’ve always been really interested in scaling and getting the best possible performance out of limited resources.

I had the opportunity recently to build out the voting back-end for a local television contest. Projects like this are fun because I had the flexibility to try out something new and a lot of people would be using it.

The Stack

I wanted to build an API to handle the voting and get the best performance out of it. Usually I’d use Sinatra for this, but this time I chose to try out Goliath, which is a non-blocking Ruby web server for building APIs. I also used Grape since it would make writing the API even easier.

I hosted it on Heroku. My initial goal was to see if I could keep it to only 1 dyno (more fun with a challenge).

If you’re not familiar with Heroku, a dyno is the equivalent of a small virtual server with 512mb of memory. They also give you your first dyno for free. So all I ended up paying for was the postgres basic database add-on.

Stress Test

Before releasing it, I did some stress testing with Siege. I couldn’t have this app failing when it went live.

212.45 transactions per second.

On only 1 heroku dyno.

WOW GOLIATH IS FAST.

Each transaction was a single GET request, that hit the database (postgres) and returned the count of contest votes. Postgres was probably the slowest part of each request. I could optimize even further by caching with memcached. Maybe next time.

The 200+ transactions per second was way more speed than I needed for this app. And much more than I expected to get out of a single dyno.

I knew that the traffic for this app would be pretty sporadic. Highly dependent on when it was mentioned on TV. Without Goliath, I would have needed to use more dynos to account for the spikes in traffic. But with the performance I was seeing out of Goliath, I knew it could handle the peaks with just 1 dyno.

See the details of the Seige test here.

If you’d like to try it out yourself, the app I used to run this contest was a modified version of Mathy Poll. Which is open source and you can grab it on github.

More Heroku reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Heroku, Microsoft, Google and others in PaaS Clouds. Updated: May 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.