HipChat [EOL] Review

Instant alerts and channels for communicating with teammates about updating tickets and code improved our productivity.

What is most valuable?

We use a robot integrated with JIRA and BitBucket, a customized robot, and hubot.

How has it helped my organization?

We receive instant alerts from HipChat on iPhone. As a system engineer, we need to get the notification immediately to update tickets from JIRA and update the code from BitBucket on mobile. We could check this from email, but there are a lot of emails that we would just ignore. For HipChat, we can create a specific channel for the update. We communicate with teammates instantly within the channel, which helps us to be productive.

What needs improvement?

What I had dealt with hipchat was integrating hipchat with our operational server (hubot + jenkins) at the backend. Thus, we could run some non-critical operation on top of the mobile, such as resource check, availability check, owner check. Due to the security reason, we should not allow to run some crucial cmd like reboot. There are some build-in feature for JIRA and bitbucket helping us to send out notification to hipchat room. Therefore, we can directly give a instant response via the room instead of sending out massive emails.

I have been using HipChat for two years.

There was some problem with the company firewall. It was not stable in some versions.

I did not have any scalability issues.

The technical support was slightly above average.

Before HipChat, we used Lync without a built-in robot.

The initial setup was straightforward. The installation was simple. I did it without reading the manual.

We evaluated Slackbecause it is free for basic usage.

What other advice do I have?

Study customized robots for further automation.