Hitachi NAS Review

As a consultant, the key benefits are the simplicity and reliability

What is our primary use case?

I work as a senior IT consultant providing objective consultancy services to my customers.

What is most valuable?

The reliability of the product is its best feature. The simplicity of the solution is also something that I appreciate.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if they would provide information on the agility of their products, and the scaling of it in order to increase the power of its capacity so you could know whether it needs different configuration. This issue exists in many products, it's not specific to Hitachi. The monitoring tool is not well developed and my guess is that the companies are not investing too much money in this area.

An additional feature that would be helpful would be the ability to increase and decrease the size of the file system dynamically and easily. Right now that's not the case. The Hitachi snapshot technique is of course less powerful than the competition is offering in many ways, so it would be better to resolve this.

I've been using this solution for many years.

My experience with the technical support has been good.

I currently work with NetApp as well. It's a more flexible and more popular solution. The NAS system and technology has some basic limitations that have nothing to do with the manufacturer.

The cost depends on your ability to negotiate and the ability to understand your needs. As a consultant assisting customers, I get them to define their needs clearly in a way that enables a comparison of solutions that allows for a comparison in price.

What other advice do I have?

You will never find a solution that fits all because every company has different requirements and every company will need to compromise. This is a good product overall.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More Hitachi NAS reviews from users
...who compared it with EMC Celerra [EOL]
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, NetApp, Dell EMC and others in NAS. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.