Hitachi Tiered Storage Manager Review
It’s a good product that will greatly reduce the time and effort when it comes to migration.

Valuable Features

Transparent and online migration of volumes from one tier to another. This feature brings about no disruption to server activities while the migration is on-going.

Improvements to My Organization

There is now no need to carry out host copy migrations from one external dynamic pool to another. All we use now is the HTSM because of its transparency to servers without the need for service outage.

Room for Improvement

The ability to migrate from one array to another without the need to virtualize one array behind the other.

Use of Solution

4 years.

Nope.

3 out of 5 (HDS Customer service).

There was no need to engage the HDS Technical support.

It was pretty straightforward in my environment because the HUS and AMS arrays have been virtualized behind the USPv arraybefore we decided that we need to move some volumes from the HUS to the AMS arrays.

Implementation Team

In-house implementation.

ROI

It reduced the number of HDP pools which eventually led to better capacity management and reduce the cost of maintaining multiple HDP pools.

It also extended the lifespan of the legacy systems in the environment.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I was not involved in the budget costing for the license of the software.

Other Solutions Considered

Other options were not evaluated because that’s the only tool available from HDS that will do the job adequately.

1 visitor found this review helpful