Hitachi Universal Storage VM Review

A solid product for high-performance data storage and utilization

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case in our company is as a reseller of the product. We don't have any Hitachi equipment solutions ourselves for production. We sell storage equipment to clients.

Popular usage for our clients is for email storage in telecall centers and for high-performance data storage and utilization.

What needs improvement?

I don't really know what parts of the product could be improved because it works well for me in testing and installations as a reseller. I would need more experience with it as a storage solution. However, I have not heard customers complaining.

One thing that can be improved is the price because it is a bit expensive. It would be easier to market and for clients to buy if the licensing were not so costly. It is not really a feature of the product but it is something that can be better.

The only feature I can think of is that it would be nice if it had data a duplication feature as an option. We have to use other products for this.

We have been using the solution for about three years.

The stability is really very good. The clients never complain of downtime.

The scalability is good. We did have an incident with a client who needed more storage space on a G400 but they had run out of opportunities on their unit. The client felt that the limitation on the number of disk enclosures was not enough and should have more capacity. As far as scalability it may be better if it were either possible to expand the capacity or provide additional capacity initially with the device.

We have only three customers but some have several of the storage systems and use them for different purposes. There would usually be no problem in providing them with scaling except for cost.

The technical support is very good and responds with expertise quickly.

We worked with HP products before switching to Hitachi. The Hitachi product had everything we needed for our customer demands and we think it is a better solution.

The installation of the product is very straightforward. It is very easy. I stay busy while I am installing the VSP (Virtual Storage Platform) and Storage Advisor for infrastructure management. Both of these parts of the installation make for busy work but it is not hard.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other people considering this solution is that it is a very good product. It has very good stability, it is easy to use, it has a 100% data security and availability guarantee. It is a very, very good solution manufactured by a good company.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate these products as a ten because they do what we need them to without fail. For us they are perfect.