Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform F Series Review

We had experience with virtualizing behind an array and moving applications and data but this made it even better.​

How has it helped my organization?

This gave a big boost to the performance of the application because of the Flash. It also introduced compression which makes the storage more efficient.

What is most valuable?

The first thing that attracted this model to us was the non-disruptive migration. We had a very large database application that was on older gear and needed to be migrated to these arrays. We had experience with virtualizing behind an array and moving applications and data but this made it even better.

What needs improvement?

The software has always been lagging a bit compared to the newer features. It usually takes a cycle for it to catch up.

This product is very stable and we didn’t experience any issues.

It scales to a very large array and we haven’t encroached on its limits yet. This particular database application is growing rapidly and we have had to expand several times in the last year.

Excellent. The team is very knowledgeable about their products and how these work with other products.

The previous solution was Hitachi but it had spinning disks. We went to all Flash for the performance.

The initial setup of the non-disruptive migration was complex but we had excellent assistance from Hitachi.

The pricing we get is very competitive when compared to other vendors. Hitachi is working on their licensing model and it is improving but can be irksome when many different items are not bundled or enterprise size.

We evaluated three different solutions, products from EMC, IBM and Hitachi. The vendors provided several configurations including all Flash and hybrid configurations.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely check it out. Talk to other customers and look into the stability and reliability of Hitachi products. They are conservative and don’t market heavily but they are determined to be right and data is the most important aspect.