Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Review

Decent performance, straightforward to set up, good support, and it served our purposes at the time

What is our primary use case?

We used the G Series as our primary shared storage, SAN storage. It hosted all of the critical applications and databases.

How has it helped my organization?

The G Series may not have improved our organization, but it basically met the status quo of what we had been doing.

What is most valuable?

The performance was decent.

What needs improvement?

We moved away from this product because we were looking for an all-flash solution, and with our G1500 at the time, perhaps two years ago, they were just proposing more of the same technology. What we wanted was a flash solution that was developed from the ground-up. I think that since then, HDS has come out with an updated product, newer than the G1500 that we had.

For us, continuing to use products from this vendor would have required having a solution that was revamped as flash storage from the ground-up, as opposed to a historical frame that's just evolved over the years.

We used the Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series for approximately seven years and have just moved away from using it.

This product was stable and there were certainly no issues that I remember.

When we purchased it, we bought the full capacity of the frame. With it fully-populated on day one, there was no need for us to scale.

This was our main storage device, so 90% of applications and 90% of our users were situated on it.

The technical support was good. There is always room for improvement but I have no specifics with regards to their support.

Over the past seven years, we used three different versions. We started with the VSP, then upgraded to the G1000, and then the G1500 was the most recent one.

We used the Dell EMC DMX series, as well. All the software products that we had, we were comfortable with when we were on the EMC DMX series. So, after switches, it was all the same kind of software and functionality that we were used to. It wasn't really over and above what we had with EMC at the time, but rather just more of the same.

The reason we switched is that after putting out an RFP, we evaluated options based on the technology and pricing. Hitachi was the winner.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that everybody has to do their own due diligence. The G Series is a good product but it isn't meet our requirements

In summary, this is a very good product but there's always room for improvement. It certainly served our purposes at the time.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

VSP, G1000, G1500
More Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE 3PAR StoreServ
Learn what your peers think about Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.