Hitachi Virtual Storage Platform G Series Review

A high-performance solution that provides DR and resiliency, but the management interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily within our large IaaS platform for All-Purpose Storage, Tiered Storage, Storage Replication, and non-disruptive Data Mobility between storage tiers. It is an ideal device for secure multi-tenanting and those hosting many clients.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has given us a huge improvement to DR, resiliency, and business continuity.

The hybrid array provides scaleable, predictable, high performance with no capacity constraints.

The G-Series platform has proven to be our platform of choice for providing our clients with reliable IaaS and cloud services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are its Data Mobility and High-performance flash capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The Management Interface needs to be improved. Hitachi Vantara has invested heavily in improving their management interface, however, they still have a way to go to catch up with many of their competitors.

We have been using this solution for five years.

The G-Series is an extremely stable platform, a chief criterion for deploying it in our IaaS and cloud services platforms.

Scalability is one of the best in the industry. The G-Series is soon to be superseded by Hitachi's next generation of enterprise storage, which I'm confident will continue the Hitachi tradition of extreme scalability with virtually unbreakable reliability.

Because our own engineers have a high skill base and accreditation on the G-Series, it is seldom that we have to seek vendor support or request a call out. Whenever we do, we experience professional and skilled levels of support.

We have used Hitachi high-end storage products for many of the past fifteen years as the primary storage resource for our enterprise clients. About ten years ago, we were struggling with Hitachi's local sales force not being proactive/value-added enough, so we made the decision to introduce another storage vendor (NetApp) into our infrastructure. The two vendors continue to coexist and compete today in a positive way.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. The G-Series was an evolution of our previous enterprise storage platform, and its deployment was largely problem-free, non-disruptive, and transparent to our clients.

The vendor team assisted our in-house team with the deployment. They were highly experienced and skilled personnel.

Our main issue with the Hitachi G-Series is what we consider to be an archaic software licensing scheme and high maintenance costs. It makes little sense in this era to continue to use capacity-sensitive licensing and costs that might have been acceptable in the 1990s but not now.

Ten years ago we evaluated Hitachi, NetApp, EMC, and IBM high-end storage. Hitachi and NetApp won.