Hortonworks Data Platform Review

​The setup of hadoop was easy thanks to Ambari, but installing the security components was complex.

Valuable Features:

It has a powerful, user-friendly interface called Ambari which allowed us to administrate our cluster easily.

Improvements to My Organization:

It allows us to performa data lake implementation to handle/treat huge amounts of data, or what we call the "terrible bytes”.

Room for Improvement:

Integrate a complete hive web client (Ambari views), like Hue Today, in the next release.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for three years.

Stability Issues:

The HDP v2.3 is stable release. But we have encountered some issues linked to hbase (fixed by: hbase server and region server should not be installed on the same node).

It has good documentation, but it's not fully complete for complex security needs (knox/ranger with cluster).

Previous Solutions:

We have installed our first cluster using native Apache repositories.

Initial Setup:

The setup of Hadoop was easy thanks to Ambari, but installing the security components was complex.

Implementation Team:

Our cluster has been implemented in-house. We have automated the entire installation of Hadoop, set-up and configuration included.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Hadoop/Cloudera is still much cheaper than Oracle's RDBM system, if you want to handle a huge amount of data and make complex analytics.

It's 40,000€ for 10 Hadoop nodes vs 1.7 million Euros  for an Oracle server with 40 cores.

Other Advice:

In short, I recommend this product simply because Hortonworks is the only distribution that runs on Linux and Windows Servers.