Hortonworks Data Platform Review

​The setup of hadoop was easy thanks to Ambari, but installing the security components was complex.

What is most valuable?

It has a powerful, user-friendly interface called Ambari which allowed us to administrate our cluster easily.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to performa data lake implementation to handle/treat huge amounts of data, or what we call the "terrible bytes”.

What needs improvement?

Integrate a complete hive web client (Ambari views), like Hue Today, in the next release.

I've used it for three years.

The HDP v2.3 is stable release. But we have encountered some issues linked to hbase (fixed by: hbase server and region server should not be installed on the same node).

It has good documentation, but it's not fully complete for complex security needs (knox/ranger with cluster).

We have installed our first cluster using native Apache repositories.

The setup of Hadoop was easy thanks to Ambari, but installing the security components was complex.

Our cluster has been implemented in-house. We have automated the entire installation of Hadoop, set-up and configuration included.

Hadoop/Cloudera is still much cheaper than Oracle's RDBM system, if you want to handle a huge amount of data and make complex analytics.

It's 40,000€ for 10 Hadoop nodes vs 1.7 million Euros  for an Oracle server with 40 cores.

What other advice do I have?

In short, I recommend this product simply because Hortonworks is the only distribution that runs on Linux and Windows Servers.