Hortonworks Data Platform Review

It allows us to provide our customers with data insights that they previously were unable to obtain, but the governance initiatives are far from production ready.

Valuable Features

Its ability to scale out seamlessly with little to no effort is very valuable to us. All the tools in the stack are built from the ground up to support massive amounts of data.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows us to provide our customers with data insights that they previously were unable to obtain.

Room for Improvement

There have been some governance initiatives, but they are far from production ready. I would like to see a big improvement in that space, as governance is critical in many regulated industries.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for one year.

Stability is good if configured properly, but for some tools such as for instance HBase, configuration is extremely hard to get right.

Scalability is superb.

I never interacted with customer support.

Cloudera and vanilla Big Data tech. We continue to use them alongside HortonWorks, depending on our clients preferences and needs.

Cloudera and vanilla Big Data tech. We continue to use them alongside Hortonworks, depending on our clients preferences and needs.

With Ambari, it is pretty straightforward, but I have no idea why they prefer FQDN over IP.

Implementation Team

My colleagues and I are the implementation team. The general advice is to start out with a small enough scope. Try to get an MVP up and running before bringing out the big guns./

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Licensing is on a per node basis and it encourages people to scale vertically rather than horizontally yet the whole purpose of the tools they sell is to scale horizontally. I do like that everything is also available freely for those that do not require support.

Other Advice

Make sure you understand what happens under the hood. Out-of-the-box tools are sub-par. Customisation is the way to go for now.