Hortonworks Data Platform Review

We can collect data from different databases, and where the data is similar, it allows for a detailed analysis from a single data store. It could improve, though, on the ability to update data.

Valuable Features

Ease of deployment and management of the Hadoop cluster are features we've found most valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

It allows our organization to collect data from databases that are different, and where the data is similar, it allows for a detailed analysis from a single data store.

Room for Improvement

The ability to update data is an area where the product could improve.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one year.

We had an issue during deployment. You have to be sure that your base image is perfect and that your infrastructure is properly configured or issues will occur.

We don't have their paid support, but I have had discussions with their engineers and they have been extremely helpful. So based on that, I would give them 8/10.

The initial setup is complex. It mainly stems from small issues that typically pop up and also a lack of experience in deploying the product. I highly suggest taking the Hortonworks Training prior to deploying.

Implementation Team

We used an in-house team. Take your time and utilize the free resources provided by Hortonworks.

ROI

At this point I don't believe I could provide a ROI as we aren't fully utilizing the product.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

If possible, I would suggest paying for the professional services which would give you on-site engineers to help deploy the cluster.

Other Solutions Considered

We did look at Cloudera, but due to having literally no money to spend for the project, we chose Hortonworks due to its being completely free and open source.

Other Advice

Take your time and script as much as you can so that all base images are the same.